First in Finland: We Land office building awarded with BREEAM Outstanding environmental certificate
We Land office building, designed by JKMM and developed by NCC, is the first to achieve the highest ratings in Finland. Never before, the international BREEAM Outstanding certificate has been awarded for the design phase in Finland.
Sustainable solutions are created on the designers’ workdesks, and applying for the higher rating governs nearly all contents of the project. The highest ratings require engaging a multi-disciplinary team who are familiar with all the details that the certificate covers. The real estate developer NCC has an experience of this demading process and sustainable approach for over a decade.
Certification to level Outstanding as per the international BREEAM environmental rating is achieved by the effect of many sustainable solutions within the project: f.ex. the plot and its location; traffic connections; services and the rest of the built environment.
The design takes into account energy supply in 2030, the building’s material efficiency, life cycle, carbon footprints, building service technology, space modifiability and employee satisfaction.
A practical example of sustainability is the building’s façade which is built from recycled and still recyclable copper. The building will be topped out by a green roof, a roof garden and solar panels. All parking spaces for cars will be equipped with charging plugs, so will part of the bicycle parking spaces.
The office building will be completed in 2024. After completion, the BREEAM Outstanding certificate will be applied for the entire building in addition to the design phase certification.
- BREEAM (Building Research Establishment Environmental Assessment Method) is originally a British classification system which is based on All-European standards.
- BREEAM encourages sustainable and responsible construction on account of a point-awarding system which allows assessing the buildings’ environmental impacts.
- Based on the criteria the buildings are divided into five categories: Pass, Good, Very Good, Excellent and Outstanding.
- Behind the BREEAM certification stands the BRE Group which consists of researchers, scientists, engineers and technical experts.
- BRE is a profit-making organisation that invests their profits in public-interest research projects or refurbishment of their own research facilities.
Further information about the project on jkmm.fi and welandruoholahti.fi